Young People to Watch: #3 - Emma Watson

15:21


Now I know practically everyone who reads this blog knows who Emma Watson is. Of course, 99% of you will have first seen in her in Harry Potter. However, what I'm most interested here is her charity work and work for UN Women.


Emma is twenty five years old, born the 15th of April, 1990 in Paris, France. As well as being a multi-millionaire actress and model, she is also gaining recognition for her activism. I may as well talk you through her filmography. The reason I wanted to talk about her so much was because she is one of the most genuinely down to earth actors I have come across, despite her incredible success. She has chosen to use her status, wealth and influence to do good and to create positive change in many different fields.

You first saw her play Hermione Granger from 1999-2010. She captured our hearts as a bossy, intelligent albeit gentle and brave young witch who saved Harry and Ron from many a dangerous situation.  In 2007, Emma voiced Princess Pea in the animated film, The Tale of Despereaux. My favourite non-Harry Potter role was as Sam in "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". She brough such fragility, innocence and beauty to a the role of a damaged, girl who just wanted to be loved.
Another major film Emma is set to star in is "Beauty and the Beast" as the title character, Belle. Filming is complete and is currently in post production. Other films she was in are, The Bling Ring, My Week with Marilyn, Regression, Colonia, and This is the End.



In 2013, Emma did an interview for RookieMag.com, something you will know I love from reading my blog. Tavi, a girl I spoke about in my first Young People to Watch post, interviewed her on many different topics and it's clear from reading it why I love Emma so much. She's so intelligent, creative and all round a lovely person. It was titled "I Want It To Be Worth It".

Emma Watson in Bangladesh.

However, what I wanted to talk about most is Emma's activism. Ms Watson has visited both Zambia and Bangaladesh. In July 2014, Emma Watson was appointed as UN Women Goodwill Ambassador. On the 22nd of September Emma made a speech at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, a speech at the end of which she was given a standing ovation. This was held to launch the campaign HeforShe.

                                                                  HeforShe launch.

She spoke about how she was sexualized at a young age, and defined feminism,saying that "the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities". Also in September Emma travelled to Uruguay highlighting the need for women to take part in politics. Emma topped the list of AskMen's"Top 99 Outstanding Women 2015.  However in November 2015 Emma interviewed Malala on her new film "He Named Me Malala". Malala herself stated that she had become a feminist after watching Emma's speech on feminism. INTERVIEW HERE.


Emma is going from strength to strength. I am genuinely so excited and proud of her every time I see her name attached to yet another project. She is honestly someone I really look up to. 

I encourage you to research HeforShe and to explore feminism if you haven't already it is really so fascinating. I have enclosed some social media links you might want to check out.





Thank you so much as always for reading.

Please follow me on Twitter, to keep up to date.

Please like my blog on Facebook to keep up to date with posts and I'd appreciate any shares!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Emma Watson is one of my greatest role models, and I'm so excited that you did a post on her!!

    WonderGoth

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing feedback, all constructive criticism welcome!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe